Art Practice A2.2: Use computing to create interactive art that is responsive to viewer inputs (Activity)< Back to Building Block
The learner will use whole and half step patterns to create a major scale. Then, the learner will compose an original melody by using the scale they created. (estimated 4 hours 30 minutes)
By the end of this activity, learners will be able to...
- pull notes from the scale they created to compose a melody
- Pattern recognition: Finding patterns among decomposed problems that can help us solve more complex problems.
- Scale: A scale is a succession of pitches ascending or descending in steps. There are two types of steps: half steps and whole steps. A half step (H) consists of two adjacent pitches on the keyboard. A whole step (W) consists of two half steps.
- Melody: a rhythmical succession of single tones producing a distinct musical phrase or idea.
Materials and Resources
- A starter musical program with unorganized notes can be found on MakeCode here
- Learners will demonstrate mastery of knowledge in this activity by composing an original melody using the major scale created using the whole and half step pattern.